Sunday, January 26, 2014

Recipe: Whole Wheat Penne with Mushrooms and Artichokes

So recently I have been on a hunt for new recipes
to switch up our "normal" rotation of meals. 
Winter can be so gloomy, so what better than a nice pesto pasta.

Usually in the summer I make homemade pesto,
since we have an abundance of fresh basil on hand.
But since its winter,
and I failed to grow basil inside this year,
store bought pesto had to do.


I found this recipe from the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook.
(I admit, I changed a few things slightly. I can't seem to just leave a recipe alone!)

I really liked this recipe,
because most of the ingredients I usually have on hand
or are easily accessible in our local grocery store.
As a mother of two small children,
quick and easy is a MUST.

What you need:
6 oz whole wheat penne pasta
3 Tbs evoo  or grapeseed oil
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 small sweet or red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large tomato, chopped
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and slightly chopped
1/4 c. pesto
5 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese (for topping)
salt and pepper to taste

Step 1: In a large pot, bring water to boil. Add penne and cook according to package directions.
Drain and toss with 2 tbs evoo.
Step 2: Heat 1 tbs evoo in large nonstick pan on med-high heat. Saute mushrooms and onion for about 6 minutes until juices start to caramelize.
Step 3: Add garlic and artichokes, saute 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until softened.
Step 4: Add pasta and pesto. Toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serves 4

Happy Cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10