Sunday, January 5, 2014

Wellness:Is Your Candle Hurting You?

Candles have such a big influence in my mood and life. I use them for meditation, cuddling into a blanket while reading a book, and as a " go to" gift that is sure to please. These are just a handful of the influence candles have in my life. So finding out the little bundles of goodness are making my home toxic shocked me.
"What!?Why?! How can something that smells amazing hurt me?" I thought to myself.

Today I am here to inform you of why they are bad and what you can do to better the air quality of your home.

Hey mom! What smells so good?
Oh No! Its bad for me?

Why Candles are Harmful:
  • Artificial scents may trigger an allergic reaction.
  • Toxic chemicals, benzene and toluene, are found in the sooty residue. Toluene affects the central nervous system and benzene is cancer-causing.
  • Scented candles may have lead in the wick which then releases it into your home.
  • Paraffin is a major ingredient in candles. It releases carcinogenic chemicals while burned. The fumes are similar to those released from a diesel engine. This chemical burned can contribute to respiratory issues like asthma.
  • Other toxic chemicals that may be present are found in other products such as paint and varnish removers.
Avoid the Most Harmful:
  • Dollar store or discount store candles.
  • Imported candles.
  • Scented candles ( unless they are naturally scented).
  • Gel candles.
  • Cheap candles for aromatherapy from brands like Glade or Febreeze).
Best Options:
  • Beeswax candles burn clean ( look for 100% beeswax as some are just a portion).
  • Soy candles ( look for 100% soy candle)
Healthy Hint: if you must burn a unhealthy candle do it in an open space with a window cracked. Keep the use to once a week at maximum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10